Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"What the world wants is Character................"

Below is a reflection on the various current global issues like US College Shooting, Delhi Gang Rape, ongoing Terrorism through an essay that I had submitted as a Graduate Student to Goi Peace Foundation in 2004.


My first six months of hostel life during my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering from a Government University in India were challenging in a different sense. Complexity adorned my thoughts and confusion prevailed in my day-to-day life. The reason was that I was in a place that was totally different from ‘my world: a world of amazing perfection’. I saw people from all walks of life and with so much varied qualities, both good and bad. I saw majority of my hostel mates drinking, watching adult videos and films, gambling, smoking, using bad language, etc. I took a decision that I won’t talk to all these persons because they are ‘bad’. Since I was brought up in a totally secured and faultless environment, these observations made my mind to wander. The question came to my mind: ‘what is good and what is bad and how do you differentiate between the two?’ I struggled in isolation but to no result. One fine day I asked my roommate, an exceptionally intelligent and  ‘big’ hearted fellow, who had all the bad qualities that I mentioned, the answer to my most conflicting question. He said that the answer is very simple. He continued that good and bad is a relative term and it depends upon the way the person is brought up and what all he experiences and observes as a part of growing up. He said: “ drinking and smoking is perfectly fine with him because he has seen his father doing the same. At the same time it’s bad for you, as your father doesn’t”. He concluded beautifully: “ there will be times when you will be confused and divided in deciding between the right and wrong; but always remember if in following a certain direction or path you feel afraid and scared, then that path is not good for you even though many would be following the same”. This answer was indeed a respite to all the complexity that occupied my mind.


In the words of a great person, Swami Vivekananda: “The present is merely a line of demarcation between the past and future, and of the two tendencies in man, if the good preponderates he will move to a higher sphere, if the evil has power, he degenerates. These two are continually at work within him; what elevates him is virtue, that which degenerates is evil.” The continuous fight against the devil that resides in every man has been tough for me, but each and every time I have evolved as a better human being in that process.


My undergraduate life provided me with strong leadership skills, perseverance and discipline. I graduated as a mature and responsible person with a desire and passion to help humankind in whatever way I can. I got a mission that always guides me during tough times and teaches me dedication. I had realized that hatred towards humanity, mass destruction, mass killing and the lack of self-awareness in individuals in following this evil path is much more devilish in nature than the acts of my college friends casual drinking and smoking and indulging in acts of short term pleasure. At least they didn’t kill babies and students, they didn’t rape young women and definitely they didn’t kill innocent people in the name of religion superiority. In the words of Swami Vivekananda: “What the world wants is character. The world is in need of those whose life is one burning love, selfless. That love will make every word tell like a thunderbolt.”


I often take pride in the qualities that I have cultivated in myself with minute observation and careful thought. They deal with the finer aspects of life. My best lies in my selfless and giving attitude. The desire to help others without expecting anything in return is a governing principle in my day-to-day life. Truly, nothing gives me more satisfaction than my ability to help others in the most adequate way as possible. There is a whole bunch of people who are in need of a helping hand. I am always ready to extend my hands for the needy. Apart from this, my love for animals, a quality that I inherited from my father has made me more compassionate and caring. I love every person I meet, irrespective of his color or religion. 




No comments:

Post a Comment